Pace Demurs on Accusation of Iran: General Says He Knows Nothing Tying Leaders to Arms in Iraq
Marine Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said yesterday that he has no information indicating Iran’s government is directing the supply of lethal weapons to Shiite insurgent groups in Iraq.
“We know that the explosively formed projectiles are manufactured in Iran,” Pace told Voice of America during a visit to Australia. “What I would not say is that the Iranian government, per se, knows about this.”
More at Newshog, Gen. Pace Refuses To Back Claims On Iran
The US stance on the military capabilities of Iraqis today is the exact opposite of its position in four years ago. Then President Bush and Tony Blair claimed that Iraqis were technically advanced enough to produce long-range missiles and to be close to producing a nuclear device. Washington is now saying that Iraqis are too backward to produce an effective roadside bomb and must seek Iranian help.
I’m keeping an open mind, but considering the incredible number of lies about the build-up to Iraq where thousands HAVE died for no reason other then Bush and his supporter’s lies I’m waiting for the smoking gun with video. Condoleezza Rice’s Credibility Gap
* CLAIM: “The fact of the matter is [that] the administration focused on this before 9/11.” – National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, 3/22/04
* FACT: President Bush and Vice President Cheney’s counterterrorism task force, which was created in May, never convened one single meeting. The President himself admitted that “I didn’t feel the sense of urgency” about terrorism before 9/11. [Source: Washington Post, 1/20/02; Bob Woodward’s “Bush at War”]
* CLAIM: “Our [pre-9/11 NSPD] plan called for military options to attack al Qaeda and Taliban leadership, ground forces and other targets — taking the fight to the enemy where he lived.” – National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, 3/22/04
* FACT: 9/11 Commissioner Gorelick: “There is nothing in the NSPD that came out that we could find that had an invasion plan, a military plan.” Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage: “Right.” Gorelick: “Is it true, as Dr. Rice said, ‘Our plan called for military options to attack Al Qaida and Taliban leadership’?” Armitage: “No, I think that was amended after the horror of 9/11.” [Source: 9/11 Commission testimony, 3/24/04]
Condi Rice on Pre-9/11 Counterterrorism Funding
* CLAIM: “The president increased counterterrorism funding several-fold” before 9/11. – National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, 3/24/04
* FACT: According to internal government documents, the first full Bush budget for FY2003 “did not endor F.B.I. requests for $58 million for 149 new secounterterrorism field agents, 200 intelligence analysts and 54 additional translators” and “proposed a $65 million cut for the program that gives state and local counterterrorism grants.” Newsweek noted the Administration “vetoed a request to divert $800 million from missile defense into counterterrorism.” [Source: New York Times, 2/28/04; Newsweek, 5/27/02]
Pandagon blogger Amanda Marcotte has resigned form the Edwards camp, her take on that situation here. CultureKitchen makes the point that much of the debate is really about not letting uppity women speak their mind about religious issues especially when they spill over into politics. An astute observation that cannot be repeated enough. If the Right wants American politics to be theocratized then they’ve made their political bed which religion and politics share – their rules not ours and so often times heated jibes that would otherwise just be aimed at politics will also hit religion. How do Republican’s on the fringe Right regularly justify their public policy views? They sight so-called family values, which is simply code for their often times twisted hateful interpretation of the Bible. A trait they actually share with jigadists and radical Islamists interpreataion of the Koran. For the Right religion and politics are one and the same thus if your criticize their views which are singularly lacking in American values you’re not just a political adversary exercising your rights under the first amendment you’re – anti-evangelical, anti-Catholic or anti-whatever religion. How convenient to create this politically rock to hide under that allows them to fire off whatever hateful insults they like at moderate abet outspoken liberals like Amanda, yet Amanda is not allowed to return fire. Reason, a libertarian site and one that I read and frequently agree with on culture issues has taken a particularly disappointing angle to Amanda’s plight and potentially all liberals and libertarians, that since they thought that Amanda was wrong about the Duke lacrosse players ( and I agree that she was for the most part) that she deserves whatever hardship comes her way. A kind of libertarian invocation of the Golden Rule I guess, commit one wrong be punished forever. To condemn Amanda in such broad strokes when libertarians can find so much on Pandagon that could have well been written by Reason seems intellectually sloppy and hypocritical on their part. As to their snide swipe at all Democratic presidential candidates, well excuse me, but there isn’t a libertarian candidate in sight at the polls so John Edwards and Senator Clinton are doing a hundred percent better then Reason’s candidate. Lastly a letter from Frances Kissling of Catholics for a Free Choice defending Marcotte and condemning William Donohue a shrill right-wing bigot if there ever was one; he almost makes Mel Gibson look sane.
New right-wing blogs seem to sprout like spores, this from a site called UrbanGrounds, Is Senator Obama Smoking Dope Again?, Posted by Robbie on Monday, February 12th, 2007
The dope-smoking, cocaine-snorting, mostly-white (though he thinks he’s mostly black) kid who wants to be President thinks that the brave men and women of our military — better men than himself (by far) — thinks that their lives were “wasted“.
Senator Barak Hussein Obama — a kid who never had the stones to enlist in the United States Military, suddenly has the nerve to denigrate the sacrifices of what they believed in and died fighting for.
The saddest part is that the left doesn’t and can’t understand why this is insulting to any man or woman who does or ever has worn the uniform of our country.
There’s no use trying to explain it to them, either. They’ll spin it as “speaking truth to power”, or saying that we’re “taking it out of context”. Or that it was a “poorly expressed joke”. Anything but acknowledge the truth: that the Left not only doesn’t support our troops, but they don’t even respect them. ( Note the blogger is a proud member of the 101st Fighting Bloggers from Mom’s Basement Brigade)
An alcoholic cocaine using draft dodger? I thought for a minute he was talking about his Cult leader George W. Bush. This blogger wouldn’t be considered a hypocrite because he supports Dick Deferment Cheney who thought that joining the military was a waste of his valuable time.
EDINBURG — A man who made national news in 2000 by producing an anti-Al Gore television ad featuring his stepdaughter is now charged in Hidalgo County with multiple counts of molesting the girl and another young relative.
Carey Lee Cramer, 43, pleaded not guilty to six counts of aggravated sexual assault, two counts of indecency with a child by sexual contact and one count of indecency with a child by exposure. State District Judge Noe Gonzalez arraigned Cramer on Wednesday in his 370th state District Court room.
But hey the oh so moral right-wing watchdogs haven’t said a thing about Cramer. Probably because he’s just a child molester, he hasn’t been critical of Vatican cruel dogma on birth control.
“Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion–several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn’t straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother’s path to happiness and heaven….The higher animals have no religion. And we are told that they are going to be left out in the Hereafter. I wonder why? It seems questionable taste.” – Mark Twain – “The Lowest Animal”
“When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, “Why god? Why me?” and the thundering voice of God answered, “There’s just something about you that pisses me off.” – Stephen King.
“Hearing nuns’ confessions is like being stoned to death with popcorn.” – Archbishop Fulton Sheen